Modern White Shaker Kitchen with Hidden Pantry and Feature Wine Rack
- Create a space designed for entertaining
- Ensure the space can accomodate the whole family in the kitchen at one time
- Create additional storage and bench space
- Seamlessly integrate the existing laundry/pantry into the new design
- Create a storage solution for red wine collection
- Preference for shaker style cabinetry and stone benchtops
- Create a defining feature that ties in with the colours/finishes in the adjoining room
This project was all about making better use of area assigned to the existing kitchen. The original kitchen was drastically out of proportion and the configuration did not make good use of the available floor space.
We set about re-configuring the joinery, adding a run of cabinets under the window creating additional bench space and more practical location for the sink. The existing island was way too small for the space and proportionally simply didn’t work.
Our client wanted to be able to entertain large numbers around her island so this became the main feature of the new design. As a result we were able to incorporate a huge 2800mm x 1200mm island in the space while retaining clear access through from the main house to the outside terrace. We added seating on 2 sides to maximise the number of people that could comfortably sit at the island. We also allowed for ample room for access in and out of the kitchen ensuring that the whole family could be in the space at one time without it feeling crowded.
Given the size of the island we were presented with the opportunity to use this area to integrate a feature wine rack under the overhang while still creating additional storage below with access from the back of the island. The darker timber was selected to tie in with the timber elements in adjacent rooms.
To incorporate the existing pantry/laundry in the design we used the existing structural elements in the space to build in access through matching cabinet doors which neatly hide the entrance and allow the space to be closed off completely.